Friday, April 28, 2006

ABC and their damn recap shows!!!

In the past two years, ABC network has finally gotten some On-air cred with a few of their television shows. Ever since the end of TGIF they have kinda been off of the map. They still had shows like NYPD blue but otherwise nothing really worth turning the TV on for. Last year ABC introduced 3 new shows to the world. Lost, the intense drama that follows the forever changed life of survivors of a plane crash who end up on a deserted and mysterious island. Desperate housewives, an hour long drama-dy that tells the story of 4 sexy suburban women and the scandalous going-on's in their neighborhood. Last but not least is Grey's anatomy, a television show about 5 surgical interns and their personal lives. These three shows have gained such a huge following in such a short time. It has been so long for ABC that I don't think they know how to handle such a fan base. I think they are more concerned with gaining more viewers than they are with keeping the viewers they have. I am an avid Lost fan, I watched the entire first season on DVD in the span of three days. I was in my big comfortable chair the night the second season started and every I was there every Wednesday after that. Two or three months into the season the television show had a month long period in which it wasn't on, I thought "oh, sweeps is right around the corner." Than the show came back on for a week or so and than wasn't on for two or three more weeks. This really bothered me, the first new episode to follow was a recap episode called "Lost:reckoning". I had seen every episode up to date so I didn't need to watch a recap show. It then became clear to me that the ABC executives were just trying to pull in more viewers which was a fair objective. After the recap episode there was a good run of new episodes. Then after about 3 weeks instead of a new episode of Lost they aired a repeat! Not a repeat from the second season, a repeat from the middle of the first! I have ever since been irritated about the show but I still watch it every week (well when it's on anyways). I started to notice this wasn't just happening to Lost in was happening to Desperate housewives as well. In a few weeks Grey's anatomy will also be airing a pointless recap show to bring in viewers that it doesn't need. It's one thing to want new viewers and a bigger following for a TV show (especially when it's in its sophomore season) but when you are pissing off all of your regular viewers who have pretty much been with you from the beginning, its time to stop playing with fire and air new episodes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home